Tuesday, April 2, 2013

One Year

I go back to work at Adoption Options tomorrow. It has been one year. That's a really long time to be away from your job. And a long time to have a completely different day-to-day life. But I know I'm so fortunate to have had a year at home. Vyanna has grown into a toddler, Easton was able to stay home for another year as he wanted and I was able to be here when Cassia got home from school.

We traveled to Indiana for Spring Break, so I really only had two days to get ready once we were back. Yesterday I kept thinking about everything that I didn't get done in that year at home that I had wanted to get done. I wanted to organize my "office" better. I wanted to sort through our kids clothes. I wanted to get rid of some things to de-clutter. I didn't really do much of any of that.

I was so caught up in what I DIDN'T do to appreciate what I DID do. Things like changing diapers, feeding a baby, getting someone a snack, stopping for a cuddle in the middle of the day, cleaning up spills, kissing a boo-boo, taking choke-able objects out of Vyanna's mouth, etc. I got to be with my little baby for almost every moment of her first year. Just like I got to do with Cassia and just like I got to do with Easton.

And I realized that all those other things will always be waiting for me, and that's okay. But the important stuff doesn't wait. I either kiss the boo-boo or miss my chance.

The next two months are going to be like that too, I'm sure. As we all adjust, I'm probably not going to get anything done that I would like to clear off my plate. So I'll just try to keep the plate from dropping and breaking while more stuff is piled on. And I'll keep reminding myself that if I still have time to do the more important things, it will be a success.

And I will remind myself to do this:

"Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
- Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment